Saturday, June 13, 2009

Flight Attendant

While Gov. Palin got all jacked up about something David Letterman didn't say, she seemed to let what he did say slide when he characterized her look as a "slutty flight attendant."

Let me tell you a story.

25 years ago I was working at a Los Angeles radio station and I took my station tour jacket with me on vacation. And because it didn't pack very well, I was wearing it as I boarded a flight back to LAX at TWA's hub in St. Louis.

An attractive flight attendant tapped me on the shoulder, saying "We've got to talk." It wasn't one of those "your relationship's in trouble" situations, so I thought a conversation would be welcome.

She didn't wait, dropping into the seat next to me for takeoff. "Your jacket... those are my initials!" When I said, "You're kidding," she pulled out her airline ID. It read "Karen Louise Olsen-Salisbury."

She was based in L.A. and my station was close to the airport. I gave her my card and suggested she come by for a nickel tour and some station promotional gear with our shared letters on it. She said that'd be fun but for now she had to work, getting up to resume her duties.

Later in the flight, when the refreshments had been served and the cabin darkened, she came back without her blazer, sat down and said "I want to show you something," as she began unbuttoning.

It was truly a "Holy Crap" moment... But only a moment as she pulled open her blouse to reveal an "I survived 'Kids Fly Free'" t-shirt.

I went back to my job, making a living by making fun things happen on the radio... But realizing that sometimes the best fun turns out to be something spontaneous you never expected.

Thanks, Karen.

No comments:

Post a Comment