Sunday, November 22, 2009

November 22nd


I was in gym when we first heard news... Shots in the plaza.
I burst through the doors and ran to the nearby bus garage.
The TV was always on.

A tear formed in Walter Cronkite's eye as he removed his glasses.
JFK was gone.
America would have to make other plans.

That's what I said on the air at KZOK-FM Seattle (a classic rock station), 11:38 am PT on November 22, 1993. Thirty years to the minute after the "flash"... News bulletin, not muzzle.

Then I played something McGuinn had revised from what Dylan sang about civil rights martyrs a few years before:



The Byrds
He Was A Friend of Mine
Turn, Turn, Turn (1965)


While the song played, a listener asked where she could get a copy of the "poem" I'd just read.

I sent her the original page off my yellow legal pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment