Saturday, June 12, 2010

39 Cents

More than an hour before, and from two blocks away, it looked like something dark dumped onto the sidewalk... But it wasn't on my way.

The street was on the edge of downtown. The kind of place with plenty of foot traffic, people parking to visit nearby clubs and even bicycle security patrols. Somebody else would check it out and see what was happening... And it was true, at least on weekends. But not so much on a Wednesday night.

After that hour or so had passed, the location was on my way. And as I walked toward the scene an ambulance and one of the two police cars pulled away. A second officer filled out an incident report.

A glint on the sidewalk caught my eye and as I stopped to look, the cop came out of his cruiser again to ask, "What are you looking at?"

"There's some change on the sidewalk. I wonder if it belongs to the person you just hauled away."

"Maybe... But it's up for grabs now."

I scooped up the coins as he drove away.

I hadn't recognized the dark patch in the distance was a person who could've been helped much sooner if I had... And now I have 39 cents that belongs to someone I failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment