Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ishinomaki Tune

"I don't know a soul who's not been battered
Don't have a friend who feels at ease
I don't know a dream that's not been shattered
or driven to its knees
But it's all right, it's all right
We've lived so well so long
Still, when I think of the road
we're traveling on
I wonder what went wrong
Can't help but wonder what went wrong"
Ishinomaki, Miyagi prefecture (Chris Mcgrath, 3/15/11)
"And I dreamed I was dying
and that my soul rose unexpectedly
And looking back down at me
smiled reassuringly
And I dreamed I was flying
And high up above my eyes could clearly see
The Statue of Liberty
Sailing away to sea
And I dreamed I was flying"

Paul Simon: "American Tune" - There Goes Rhymin' Simon (1973)

A replica of the Statue of Liberty stands alone amongst rubble in Ishinomaki, northeastern Japan. The one time tourist attraction is now one of the only features left standing in the port city, once home to one of the Eastern Hemisphere's largest fish markets.

When entire towns are washed away or turned into debris, how do you begin cleaning up and re-building? That’s the question facing Japanese authorities, who have to start the cleanup amid uncertainty over the fate of the country’s Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear complex, disabled by last week’s earthquake and tsunami.

Yossi Sheffi, of MIT’s Engineering Systems Division, sees potential.
From The Ground Up
Audio Embed: BBC, PRI & WBUR's Here & Now 3/18/11,
Host: Robin Young.

No comments:

Post a Comment