Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Here's To You Jerry(s)

In an Irish family it's not unusual for first names to repeat in successive generations. In fact my dad, the son of Irish immigrants, used to joke about it, saying: "You need a program to tell who's who."

He and my mom decided they'd give their children first names without family histories. As did my sister, who married a guy from German American stock. But my brother married another Irish American, and they reverted to tradition.

I like to think Dad would be proud to know there's a grandson that bears his name and was born on St. Patrick's Day. And that this son has thought of him every day for the nearly 32 years he's been gone.

Here's to you, Jerry. I don't know exactly when I'll see either of you again, but I have faith I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment